Integrative and Holistic Dentistry
What is Holistic Dentistry?
INTEGRATIVE DENTISTRY IS AN INTERCEPTIVE AND HOLISTIC APPROACH to dental care that creates comfort, stability and esthetics through healthy materials, whole body understanding, and high quality care. As an holistic dentist in Fishers, Dr. Behner focuses on natural dentistry and alternative treatments to most conventional dental procedures. Feeling confident with your smile, being able to chew comfortably, and maintaining a healthy oral environment are a few of the foundations of integrative dentistry.
How Does Holistic Dentistry Work?
Today, many doctors take a functional or holistic approach to healthcare, combining conventional Western medicine with natural therapies and alternative treatments that support the body’s natural inclination to heal. You may also know it as integrative health care.
We believe that the patient must play an active part in understanding their oral health and in deciding what therapies or treatment options are best for them. It is equally important to understand what preventive measures may be required to maintain good oral health. It’s best to try to prevent disease through healthy living.
We are here to help you be as healthy as you want to be! We believe that what happens in the mouth affects the whole body and changes in the body are often reflected in the mouth.
To this end we will discuss such things as sleep, diet, stress, family history of illnesses, life style habits, exercise, nutritional supplements, and past dental experiences.
In general, we believe in evaluating lifestyle first, enlisting natural therapies second, and drugs last unless needed to treat an active infection or acute pain.
Ways That We Use Holistic Dentistry to Treat Patients
- We may recommend various tests to determine presence of specific bacteria or viruses which may be causing low grade gum infections and chronic inflammation. We can screen for diabetes, HPV viruses, and a genetic variation that may cause one to be more sensitive to inflammation (hyper-responsive). (OralDNA® Labs, Eden Prairie, MN)
- We have a custom compounding pharmacy make patient-specific medications if needed for the treatment of gum and mouth infections. These are alcohol free, use either Xylitol or Stevia as sweeteners and have natural plant extracts as active ingredients when possible.
- We do not use mercury/silver dental fillings. Instead we use composite resin, porcelain or gold.
- We recommend a nano-particle enamel crystal formula for caries prevention. This is available with or without fluoride. (PerioSciences®, Dallas, TX) In place of traditional fluoride application we have available paint on varnish which makes micro amounts of fluoride available to the tooth surface for up to 15 days without the risk of ingesting any more than would be ingested from drinking municipal water.
- For other oral health concerns we have a line of special oral antioxidant gels, pastes and rinses. These are effective in treating conditions of dry mouth, apthous ulcers, lichen planus, radiation/chemotherapy induced stomatitis and more. These are formulated by PerioSciences®, Dallas, TX.
- We use the lowest dose digital x-ray imaging technology possible and take photos of your mouth so you can see what we see.
- All of our operatories have closed self-contained water supplies that utilize distilled water.
So, finally, what is holistic dentistry? It is largely a matter of philosophy—recognizing that your oral health intimately affects, and is affected by, your physical health and vice versa.
Learn More About Holistic Dentistry – Contact Us Today!
Patients in the Indianapolis and Carmel area are fortunate to have a holistic dentist right in their back yard. Dr. Behner, offers a range of integrative dentistry services, including periodontal treatment. To learn more about holistic dentistry, simply contact Dr. Behner of Dental Care Today PC in Fishers by text, calling the phone number above, or sending us a message using the form on the right of this page. We look forward to working with you.